1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unresolved VSH issue about adding "_gsn" to map names

Discussion in 'Report Issues / Get Support' started by Chicago_Ben, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Chicago_Ben

Chicago_Ben I regret everything.

While talking to a mapper the other day he brought up the point about how editing map names (teul_rc2_gsn) can cause issue to several things in a map, mostly on sounds,particles, and loading images. This is due to 3 of these things require scripts that look for the name of map to execute and since the map is edited and not the scripts,thus the map doesn't read it at all (Not all scripts but some) . Doing some testing on "_gsn" maps and the base versions of said maps, I found this to be a actual problems on 6 maps and very very minor ones on around 50% of the other maps in the map selection.

Most vsh maps are not very complex and this only becomes a issue on maps that have these complex things like newer,fancy maps. This is something that isn't for old outdated ones as much.

To note the issues that happen can be no soundscape-background sound like a storm sound effect for crevice or a wind noises for a map like citypeak
    no particles- little effects like when falling off maps when you land back you get a special glow effect
    no map descriptions- when you join a server you get 2 screens one for ads and another for map information that mappers can edit and give info on said map, as if right now, majority of gsn maps do not have the custom descriptions in and just generic arena stuff because the maps can't read the custom one.
    no loading screens- On maps like Deltra v3 when you load maps on servers you get an imagine of the maps like on arena maps but when you do that for gsn you get nothing for maps that have this.

Maps I found that have this issue
    *Some maps are updated versions of maps we already have that were tested.
    -vsh_Yammoe_v5 (prev. v4)missing particles on the beam, no Map Description, Loading Screen. (Part. MP,LS)
    -vsh_teul_Rc3 (prev. Rc2)soundscape for windy sounds is gone, part. when falling. No MD, LS.
    -vsh_pruvia_v9 (prev. v5)missing part. on lava,necro smash,sacrifice pit,woody kill sound for each person hale killed on woody mini-round. No MD, LS.
    vsh_moving_in_v4 missing outside and inside soundscapes,missing part. on fall. No MD,LS.
    vsh_megaman_Rc1 missing end of round megaman music. No LS.
    vsh_hakurei_shrine_v3 - missing outside soundscape and start round music. No MD,LS
    Mostly No MD, LS. for a lot of other maps that have actually info for maps like Dunger and Mannco.

-Main issue is obviously soundscape since particles are such a small issue for all vsh maps and sound does have subtle affects.
    -No other issues found on other vsh maps that could have possible had this issue outside of the info and loading pictures.

2. HunniiBear

HunniiBear (G-S.N) Admin

Interesting. Never would have thought that changing the name of a map could cause problems like these.

3. Chicago_Ben

It can be fixed and I will attempt to figure it out later just posting this for others to understand. Its funny how we have had shrine for years and not noticed the sound issues all over it.

4. Mun

Mun Ice Queen Supreme

I vote we delete the maps and blame Ben.

Garyx likes this.
  5. Chicago_Ben

How about we vote to ban nurse and just let me figure out how to fix em.

6. ruhahaha

ruhahaha (G-S.N) Admin

ben are you jealous mun got to me first

Garyx likes this.
  7. Mun

Mun Ice Queen Supreme

The "fix" is simple. Change the name back. The problem.... people may not be able to join. The reason we started changing names in the beginning was because people were distributing maps with the same name that they had modified or weren't exactly right. Part of the process of joining is comparing the maps. This is done by (my guess) creating a hash of the map. Sending it to the server for authenticity, if it isn't the same it kicks the player for bad map. Thus the problem...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    Garyx likes this.