1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please remove this map

Discussion in 'General' started by HunniiBear, Feb 10, 2017.

1. HunniiBear

HunniiBear (G-S.N) Admin

Canyon Raid needs to be removed pLEASE. One round takes 20 minutes and if there's engies they can just build teleporters around the perimeter of the mountain. Half of the people go on the mountain and it takes hale a long time to catch them.

Garyx likes this.
  2. Flashbackmaniac

Flashbackmaniac (G-S.N) Admin

I complete agree. Canyon Raid is one of those maps that WILL prolong the rounds, no matter how hard Hale tries to go after teammates. Take the size of Hakurei Shrine, multiply the size by at least a factor of three, increase the number of sight lines by fifty, and you get this poor excuse of a map. Here are some things of note from countless times where the randomized map rotation switched to this map:

• Humongous amount of sight lines. Seriously. The only times where Hale can duck out of cover are when he is inside those buildings, and even those don't provide the surprise factor he needs to build an effective strategy to take down the mercenaries. Once he steps out, all those snipers that compose half the RED team will fixate onto him and mark him for the rest to locate, if those Snipers can hit a tiny speck that is Hale down on the lowest level of the map, that is.
    • Huge map = frustrating Engineers. Even when Hale thinks he has killed all of them, there will be that one that will sneakily build in the corner of the map with a teleporter ready to take him to the other side. Have him take the teleporter when Hale is close, take the Sentry away with the Rescue Ranger when its at low health, rebuild, rinse and repeat. From what I have seen, this adds at least a minute of Hale having to travel across the map just to have an attempt at the nest again, and that is not without the Engineer building another teleporter and repeating the whole process again...of course, this would had been solved if Hale did kill all of the Engineers, but the sheer size of this just increases the chance of that one getting away.
    • Soldiers, the kind that rocket jumps around the map with Mantreads. They are basically a distraction to the Hale. What better way to draw attention away from the Engineers / Snipers / other teammates climbing up the mountain than rocket jumping Soldiers with a Market Gardener in hand?
    • Bias to the above three classes: I honestly do not see a reason why anyone wants to play as any other class when the three above seem "appealing" on a enormous map like this. Scouts would peck the Hale from the cliffs, and when they're on the lowest level of the map, they're killed off because there is no place to successfully evade the Hale. Pyro's role as more support-oriented could help, but that means airblast + flare jump away equals more time wasted, not to mention being a distraction. Demomen could stand a chance, but are killed off as well due to poor prop placement for evasion and successful collection of four heads to survive hits. Heavies? Out of the question. Medics? Possibly. They would probably be healing the Soldiers for damage or up on the mountain trying to deal damage with their Crusader's Crossbow / camp with the Snipers / Engineers. Spies? Unless they can successfully pull out trickstabs from around props, they're going to be found due to the open nature of this map.
    • Finally, I can attest that when the server switches to this map, players want to immediately vote off it.

Throw these points all together, add in mediocre to awful map design (it's not a canyon, it's a bowl shaped feature with two buildings in it), toss in some newcomers in the mix, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  3. CrackuhJax

CrackuhJax Retired (G-S.N) Admin

It's a garbage map, remove it.

Garyx likes this.
  4. Theexplorer25

Theexplorer25 (G-S.N) Admin

If the map didn't have the outer rim to it I would be fine with it, but with how it is as of right now I agree that it should be removed

Garyx likes this.
  5. moof

moof (G-S.N) Admin

As someone that has a bias towards large open sniper maps even I agree this map may have gone a bit too far in some places, should probably be removed

Garyx likes this.
  6. Intel-Qube

Intel-Qube New Member

The map is so large if the hale and a sniper are on opposite cliffs, the sniper, regardless of skill level, can't even do damage because that distance exceeds the sniper rifle's hitscan range.

7. Garyx

Garyx New Member

Hear hear, I hate this map just as much. I like to win rounds too but when it's a hale above 12k against one engie.....that's just old. Been on the server with full pop and then it gets halved when this map comes up. On top of what Flash said it really does kill the population of the server REALLY fast especially when votes do not even go through.

8. Mun

Mun Ice Queen Supreme

Map has been removed.

Garyx likes this.